Monday, January 2, 2012

Today was the last day of break

Last day to have 4 kids home. All together: playing, fighting, running, teasing, singing, screaming, creating.

Playing school, Star Wars, house, orphans (yes, they like to pretend their parents are dead...what does that say about me?), making up plays, huddling together to watch movies, accidentally injuring, then retaliating, then forgiving. And so on.

And the Mailman goes back to work tomorrow too. Sigh.

I love having them all home. I know some parents can't wait to send their kids back to school after a two week Christmas break. But I love having the house filled with all the sounds of having 4 kids. Even when they are quiet, I know they are here. and he has been here to help. Which has made it all better.

He doesn't want to go back to work tomorrow either. And the girls would rather have more time at home. Henry, though, loves first grade and can't wait to get back to his teacher, his desk, his friends, recess, whatever it is that 6 year olds love.

And it's coming whether we like it or not. The house is undecorated for Christmas, the presents are unwrapped and integrated into the rest of the toys in their rooms, lunches are packed, it's all ready to go.

and it will just be me and Bea again tomorrow.  I'm sure she'll want to watch her new Tinkerbell movie,

and I'll be made and offered many plates of play food, and many scribbled drawings, made with love by a special 4 year old.

So good bye, break, and hello reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment